Thursday, April 07, 2011

catch up

I swear life just zooms by.  There are things I want to say that never get said.

We are in a new phase here with 2 teenagers, one is in high school.  Oh, my is that throwing me for a loop.  I read the funny blog posts about potty training and getting your kids to do eat something other than noodles and chicken nuggets, and while they are fun and give me a giggle, where is the blog post that finds the humor in my 15 year old daughter dating a boy who turns 17 today.  17.....17!!!!  I know what I was doing at 17, and that just scares me.

Motherhood is hard.  Juggling the schedules, meals, homework, free time, play dates, sleepovers, big girl dates, prom dresses, carpools...it is making me tired.

On an up note, we have 9 new baby chicks!  Our 10 hens from last spring are laying beautifully!  We get anywhere from 5-8 eggs a day from them.  I haven't bought eggs in quite a while, even for baking.  We try to sell eggs to the neighbors, but I get greedy!  Of our new girls, 3 are "straight run's", which means we aren't sure if they are pullets or not.  We should know around 6-8 weeks.  And they are 4 weeks old now.  We already have them outside in their big girl brooder.  They are getting really cute....I'll have to post pictures.  We got some fun breeds this time, too, and some that lay actual white eggs!  And more of the Easter Egger's.

I must say it's a little strange to eat something you found in your backyard (even if it did come from a nest in a coop), but I am getting used to the idea!

I just wanted to poke my head in here and say hello.....

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I don't miss those days at all!!

Dwija {House Unseen} said...

Mary Kate sent me over here from her blog and I am so excited to see that you have chickens and you are ENJOYING them! We've just started our small scale homesteading adventure and getting 8 chicks was a huge step for us. Have a wonderful weekend and a happy Easter :)