Wednesday, March 10, 2010

survival

This morning I was heading out to do a couple of errands with Jack E.  It is still so strange to only have him around all morning every week day, but he is great company!

I was making the list of where I needed to go and what I needed to do.  I knew the last stop before kindergarten pick up would be the grocery store.   It got me thinking about my errand days 10-12 years ago.  OY!  Even grocery shopping with 2 or 3 little ones was a chore.  And we had a system it seemed.

I would have my list ready the night before.  Coupons and sale flyer in the diaper bag.  By the time I got us all ready and out the door it was usually around 10.  I would go to the store and stock up, but it would take a while.  More often than not, I would hit the drive through on the way home.  Yes, I had a car full of groceries, but I also had a 2 year old, 1 year old and pregnant belly.  Or the next year, a baby, a 2 year old and a 3 year old.  And the idea of carrying in groceries with 2 or 3 hungry kids and then getting them some lunch was just overwhelming.  So we picked up some lunch.  Thankfully they could share an order of chicken nuggets and an order of fries.

I called it survival.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

That is the story of many young moms. Thank goodness for fast food apples and juice anyway. My grandkids always ask for them if we are picking up fast food. We never had those choices back then.

grammy said...

We have all done that
even now
if i don't take myself a healthy snack
I will buy some crazy thing (o: